POSITION: Wedding Sales & Venue Manager
Director of Event Sales & Operations
Thompson Island/Boston, Massachusetts Via Ferry Commute/Round-Trip Daily
The Wedding Sales & Venue Manager (WSVM) is responsible for the sales and management of all Wedding Events at Thompson Island, and also sells and manages some corporate events. The WSVM is part of a 3-person sales team at a cutting edge non-profit, for which these paid events underwrite free youth education. (See below for a summary of Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center.) This position requires the generation of leads, island site visits, development of proposals, contracting, booking, contract management, collection of payments and event delivery. The Wedding Sales & Venue Manager (WSVM) serves as the primary sales representative and venue manager for brides and their families looking to plan events on Thompson Island, and as well as playing a secondary role in sales and delivery for corporate outings, conferences, and professional development/corporate team-building.
The WSVM works closely with the Director of Event Sales & Operations to respond to inquiries, build quotes for wedding events and overnight accommodations, secure required space on the Property Management System (Delphi), and take advantage of upsell opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the entire sales process from generating leads to booking and delivery. Generate leads by building relationships throughout the Boston area, staying on top of trends in the wedding industry, and working with the organization’s Director of Marketing.
- Develop and execute organizational strategic campaigns to drive upsell and cross-sell of our current product offerings (i.e. Outward Bound Professional) with the goal of increasing revenue and exposing clients to other TIOBEC offerings and programs
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with events sales team and other organization employees who manage sales (for youth and adult groups).
- Maintain constant communication with clientele throughout and up to final payment.
- Secure space in Delphi (PMS).
- Work with wedding clients from the initial inquiry to overseeing the execution of the wedding. This includes site visits, contracts, planning, confirmation of vendor arrivals/departure and serving as day-of coordinator.
- Coordinate all aspects of transportation to and from the island by charter boat or the Thompson Island ferry.
- Review all food and beverage options with the wedding party, and prepare a final menu proposal with current pricing and minimums.
- Secure timely deposits (processing credit card transactions) that require invoicing, follow-up receipts, etc.
- Work with the Chef and Sous Chef on all special orders as well as customer allergies.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive file for all customers.
- Communicate pre-arrival information to Event and Conference staff and oversee the rooming list and special requests.
- Secure final pre-payment (processing credit card transactions) in timely fashion, sending receipts.
- Update accounting on all accounts receivables, refunds and adjustments with necessary back-up.
- Secure all special requests for the entire function.
- Collect all required Certificate of Exemptions from customers.
- Communicate all aspects of booking interdepartmentally.
- Perform “Exit Interviews” with each wedding and prepare debrief for file.
- Send customer satisfaction survey to all clients; track and report on responses; discuss lessons learned with the broader sales team and make adjustments to respond to valuable input.Additional duties as assigned.
The position reports directly to the Director of Event Operations and is responsible for communicating accurate information and details on the bookings to the Events, Kitchen and Operations, updating the information as necessary throughout the wedding weekend.
- 5 years’ experience in sales and delivery, preferably hospitality related
- Strong working knowledge of and experience with Delphi
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Proven ability to build rapport will customers
- Minimum educational requirement of 4 year undergraduate degree
- Strong business acumen and ability to close a sale
- Professional presence
- Superb organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task in hectic environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in making presentations to groups and one-on-one to clients
- Willingness to accept and promote the core values and youth education mission of the organization
- Requires working on Thompson Island, Boston Harbor, developing leads off the island, and ability to work remotely, on occasion, at discretion of Director of Event Sales & Operations
- Hours can be irregular during the height of operating season but in general require 40 hrs/week
- Some local travel
- Site visits and/or assistance with client needs/events operations may require periods of time spent outdoors in inclement weather
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Site visits and island tours may require walking upwards of 1-3 miles
- Stationary/desk time of up to 8 hours
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Employer sponsored health insurance with the option to select between competitive plans. Premier dental. 401(k) retirement plan with competitive match. Generous paid time off including: vacation, holidays, personal days, parental and sick leave. Flexible scheduling, pursuant to position. Work that engages a diverse and dynamic community of educators and learners, with the shared vision of shaping a better future for Boston students. A quality work life in Boston’s Seaport district with frequent access to the natural wonders and positive impacts of Thompson Island.
About Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center:
At Thompson Island Outward Bound we believe every kid can discover the freedom of possibility, as students move from "I can't” or “I'm not" to "I can." I can navigate turbulent waters. I can be part of a team. I can lead. I can reach the top. I can solve that problem. I can make a difference for others. I can go to college. I can feel smart. I am smart. "I can, I will, I am."
Through our partnership with Boston’s public schools, each year thousands of students board the Thompson Island Outward Bound ferry to discover who they are and all they can become, on an island classroom that spans 204 acres of salt marshes, woods, campsites, labs, dormitories, and dozens of challenge structures.
In order to reduce the achievement and opportunity gaps facing Boston middle schoolers, our research-based curriculum features hands-on field science infused with Outward Bound’s unique approach to character development. Our multi-year education programs are provided at no cost to schools or students, funded by a combination of philanthropy and the island’s events business.