POSITION: Ferry Captain
REPORTS TO: Bosun
START DATE: ASAP
DURATION: Seasonal (7.5 Months), Non-Exempt
LOCATION: Thompson Island - Boston, MA; Gloucester Shipyard
The Ferry Captain is responsible for the safe transportation of all island visitors to and from Thompson Island on our 65’ passenger ferry, M/V Outward Bound. The M/V Outward Bound is a 300HP Single Screw Passenger Vessel. In addition, the Ferry Captain may be responsible for operating a smaller vessel to support the Programs Department in student course evacuations. The Ferry Captain reports to the Bosun.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Serves as Master of a 65’ USCG inspected passenger vessel
• Operates a variety of small, uninspected passenger vessels and work boats
• Performs maintenance tasks as outlined in our Planned Maintenance Program
• Occasional overnights may be required
• Responsible for the safe navigation of all Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center owned vessels
• Responsible for the safe embarkation/disembarkation of passengers
• Responsible for managing all vessel crew (typically consisting of one deckhand)
• Vessel crew directly reports to the Captain on duty.
• Minimum of 3 years working onboard a vessel.
• Minimum of 1 year as Master of a vessel.
• Must currently hold a 100 Ton Masters license minimum.
• FCC Marine Radio Operators Permit required to be obtained within 3 months of the start date.
• Must be comfortable making decisions that affect life and property, often in stressful conditions.
• Desire to contribute, by way of fulfilling job duties, to the organizational mission of providing character development for Boston’s young people.
• Must be comfortable working outside, on the water in a coastal environment.
• Overtime hours periodically required.
• Weekend and evening work are often required.
• Housing provided for the duration of the season.
• Must be able to lift 70 lbs unassisted.
• Must be able to ride a ferry daily and traverse an island of varying terrains.
• Must be able to stand for 5+ hours per day.
Must be currently vaccinated against COVID-19 up to CDC guidance
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive daily pay commensurate with experience. Earned Sick Time. 401K retirement plan with competitive match once pre-requisites are met. Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Accident Insurance. Access to professional discount programs for gear and clothing. Temporary housing is provided on Thompson Island for positions that necessitate. Possibility for fall employment, depending on experience, interest, and qualification.
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks staff as diverse as the communities it serves. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your application was submitted successfully.