POSITION: School Year Connections Coordinator
School Year Connections Program Manager
February 25th, 2019
Full Time, Year-Round, Exempt
Thompson Island, Boston, MA
The School Year Connections Coordinator is responsible for coordinating delivery and day-to-day mainland operations of Thompson Island Outward Bound’s Connections Program. This role will primarily focus on liaising with partner schools, school logistics, and the day-to-day management of school based employees.
The role will primarily focus on the day-to-day functions essential to delivering concurrent and overlapping programs and logistics, this includes but is not limited to: coordination with other island departments and personnel, curriculum review, delivery and re-design , coordination of internal communications and paperwork, external client relations and communications, customer service, and observation, coaching and management of staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with partner school principals, administration, teachers, and faculty.
- Coordinate the distribution, collection, and processing of student enrollment paperwork.
- Collaborate with the Client Services department to implement the student and family engagement plan including family nights, student recruitment events, and teacher meetings.
- Ensure that school based programs are operating in accordance with Boston Public School policies and that incidents are managed in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Assist with the long-term development of the program by creating supporting documents, contributing to program planning, and providing regular feedback relevant to the program.
- Support the development of school based curriculums, lessons, and offerings.
- Coordinate the implementation of the School Year Connections evaluation plan in assigned partner schools.
- Execute all survey instrument requirements.
- Collaborate with the Professional Learning Manager, and School Year Connections manager to analyze survey results and implement subsequent changes based of said results.
- Support the implementation Thompson Island Scale Plan
- Liaise with partner school contacts and serve as the primary point of communication for all assigned partner schools.
- Ensure that the Island Delivery team has all of the necessary client, student, and course information to effectively deliver a course for all assigned courses.
- Manage course and student information for assigned courses in electronic databases.
- Liaise with the program operations team and coordinate all course related logistics into Delphi (salesforce) program operations forms, and/or other internal booking systems.
- Support the concept to completion flow for all Connections courses.
- Conduct regular observation and coaching sessions with school based employees to assess, strengthen, and grow their skill set.
- Provide strong management and coaching to school based employees.
- Manage payroll and scheduling of school based employees.
- Contribute to a team of trainers who are collectively responsible for delivering a suite of trainings to Course Directors and Field Staff.
- Collaborate with the School Year Connections Program Manager to plan, develop, and facilitate regular trainings and professional development opportunities for school based employees.
General Workplace Responsibilities
- Participate in program meetings.
- Coordinate with island operational managers both in and outside of the programs department to contribute to the smooth delivery of all island programs, events and functions.
- Have a working knowledge of all suggested interventions and generalized strategies for each area of responsibility.
- Monitor and analyze student and program data to identify trends and improve to ensure program quality.
- Step into roles under areas of responsibility when needed.
- School Based Employees
- Facilitators working in school settings
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field and 2- 3 years of commensurate experience.
- Knowledge and field experience with urban school-based programs and/ or Outward Bound.
- Experience, training and evaluating youth staff.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Fluent (writing and speaking) in Spanish, Haitian-Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese preferred.
- Excellent time management, prioritization, and organization skills.
- Ability to teach a variety of audiences, from youth to adults.
- Ability to work effectively with teachers, faculty, administrators, facilitators, and students, both independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet management.
- Familiarity with computer based systems like Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Drive. Experience with Customer Relations Management databases (i.e. Salesforce) a plus
- Proven success operating in ambiguous and changing environments with the demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize projects; delegate tasks appropriately, and manage progress against goals for self and others while addressing barriers.
- Passion for and understanding of the philosophy of Outward Bound.
- While the position will work on the island, expect to spend the majority of working hours split between the mainland office and our partner schools.
- Environmental fluctuations are typical of the New England coast, and can include hot, humid weather, and unseasonably cool, rainy, and windy coastal weather; must be comfortable working outside in either of these extremes for extended periods of time.
- All positions reporting hours to the island, are asked to assist loading/unloading cargo from the boat as able. This involves lifting and walking with parcels upwards of 50lbs on and off moving docks and up/down ramps
- Must be able to be on feet an average of 5+ hours per day.
- Must be comfortable on board a variety of boats and working around the water.
- Must have the mental and physical stamina to work long hours in inclement weather (heat, humidity, high winds, rain, etc.)
- Must have the mental and physical stamina to maintain a high quality of job performance while working in a dynamic fast-paced environment, often performing hours exceeding typical workday.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Employer sponsored health insurance with the option to select between two comprehensive plans. Premier dental plan. 401(k) retirement plan with competitive match. Generous paid time off including, vacation, holidays, personal days, parental and sick leave. Flexible scheduling, pursuant to position. Work that engages a diverse and dynamic community of educators and other professionals, with the shared vision of shaping a better future for Boston’s youth. A quality work life in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district with frequent access to the natural wonders and positive impacts of Thompson Island.
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks staff as diverse as the communities it serves. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.